Avoid these common PPC mistakes digital marketers make at all costs
Pay-per-click can be an effective way to generate quick income by gaining new customers for your business. However, this isn’t an easy job, and many digital marketers make relatively common mistakes.
Often, when people think that PPC is wasting their money and not bringing the expected results, they sulk back to believe that that it isn’t their cup of tea. Yet, in most cases, these mistakes can easily be fixed, and their efforts will not all go in vain.
Your goals need to be bigger than just “more leads & more revenue”. Dig in deeper to questions like:
- What kind of leads are you looking for?
- Who is your targeted audience?
- What does your ideal lead look like?
Other than that, you need to become more specific and ask yourself:
- What is your ideal lead exactly looking for?
- What keywords are your ideal lead targeting?
After that, you need to know how many valuable leads you require, and so:
- What would be an acceptable cost per head?
- How much are you willing to spend on experimenting, what would work for you, and what wouldn’t?
- How much is your current revenue; how much do you want to increase it, and how will you do that?
Once you have figured out the answers to these questions, it is that time when you can move forward.
Not keeping track
Now that you have set some goals, what measures are you taking to look after them? You need to know whether or not your set goals are being met. You need to track everything to make sure you analyze the campaign performance accurately. A few things you need to keep an eye out for are:
- The phone calls you may be receiving
- Forms filled on the website.
- Offline leads
- Store visits
Commonly people would only track clicks and impressions, but not the conversion/engagement. If you do not track your engagement, you are not doing PPC right.
Lack of management
PPC is not passive work, but active work. Here you need to pay attention to everything being done and upgrade your strategies regularly. It is not a billboard advertisement, which, once it goes onto the board, you can not change it and hope for the best that it works out. You need to
You need to improve your marketing campaign by making different optimizations and changes. Review your keywords, test new ads, and try out various bidding strategies. This helps you see how far you can go with it.
Trying too hard
It is common for new PPC digital marketers to do everything they know at once. They would bid on everything and end up wasting ten times the money to sell a basic service.
- Do one thing at a time
- Keep track of everything you do
- Focus on keywords ONLY related to your business
- Track different aspects of your business
This does not mean that you spend too much time trying to decide what to do next. However, you need to modify your thinking slowly. That way, you would be able to keep a balance between actively working and tracking.
- Less is more in PPC. It is better to have less, great keywords, rather than to have a plethora of keywords with close to zero conversion.
- Focus on a keyword with higher purchase intent rather than a keyword that would only be used for research purposes.
- It is better to only focus on the research audience if you have a higher budget only.
To learn more, join the Local Marketing Vault Program and skyrocket your PPC efforts!
CEO/Jack of all trades master of none! The Daily SEM
Father of 4 awesome kids! Trying to survive!
Don't get bogged down by the bells and whistles out there.
His #1 online business pick for 2022 and beyond to grow your own 6/7-figure business getting results now for clients vs later. Learn more here